RagHag Diva

Dissecting all the weekly trash celebrity magazines so YOU don't have to!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Foxy Brown is Deaf?

Now, I'm not a big follower of urban music. But I am familiar with the name Foxy Brown. I mean, I can't name any of her songs or anything - but I've heard the name.

So I'm reading my People again - I do a brief runthrough, reading only those articles that are of utmost importance to me, and then later, I leisurely read through the rest of the articles - and I come across this one entitled "I've Been Deaf for Four Months." I thought it was going to be one of those special interest articles about someone in Topeka or something. But nope - it's rapper Foxy Brown.

She went to bed one night with the television blaring and woke up and couldn't hear a thing. She turned the volume up to 60. Nothing. Went outside and honked her car horn. Nothing. She picked up her phone and dialed. Nothing.

Dude, wouldn't this totally freak you out? She was diagnosed with something called severe sudden sensorineural hearing loss, which is now at the top of my Fear List, along with biological warfare and deep vein thrombosis.

It's the result of a viral infection - and she had warning signs. She was having difficulty hearing - it would be okay one day, bad the next. But she didn't go check it out. I probably wouldn't have either if I was 26. You just don't think about suddenly going deaf. So if she did get it checked out sooner, they may have been able to save her hearing.

Instead, she had surgery and can now hear at about the 20% level. Man, that would just suck - 26, career in music, and you wake up deaf. Totally bizarre. And even more bizarre is this hasn't really been talked about on the usual gossip sites. Like I said, I don't know her music - just know her by name, but I feel bad for her. Hopefully more of her hearing will be restored and she can continue her career.

2 Comments:

Anonymous mot said...

Thanks for the Foxy Brown story. The next time my hearing starts to go I am going directly to the Emergency Room. I hope she gets better soon.

6:46 AM  
Blogger The Pants said...

I actually partially lost my hearing this summer. I was staying at the outerbanks in NC this summer with my family. I drank to much and jumped off the second floor balcony into the pool a few times. Put a hole in my eardrum. It healed up after a few weeks and I can hear again.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home