RagHag Diva

Dissecting all the weekly trash celebrity magazines so YOU don't have to!

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Mr. Sulu is Gay - and Not Ashamed to Say It

George Takai, who played Mr. Sulu in the original Star Trek series, has come out of the closet. To be honest, I never really got into the original series - I was more of a Next Generation girl. But I say good for you, Sulu! He and his partner has been together for 18 years and I bet he's relieved to claim his sexuality.

He said he came forward partially because of the social and political climate in which we live. He comments that he's amazed that the legalization of gay marriage is even being discussed - I guess demonstrating how far we've come just to have the topic on the table.

I'm a bit less positive than Sulu. I can't believe it's not legal in every state in this country. I can't believe we still live in a country where discrimination is legalized.

I wonder what it was like on the Enterprise. I don't remember there ever being any gay characters. If I'm mistaken, let me know. But how cool would it be to show a future where gay relationships are just as accepted as straight ones?

Live on, Sulu. And prosper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home