RagHag Diva

Dissecting all the weekly trash celebrity magazines so YOU don't have to!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Awards, Awards! Oh How I Love Awards!

Oh man - I'm overdosing on award news. Seriously, I'll need to go to a methadone clinic for celebrity news after today.

The big news of today was the announcement of the Oscar nominations. This comes right on the heels of last night's SAG awards. First I will tell you who won the SAGs, and then I'll tell you the names of the lucky nominees.

Screen Actor Guild Winners

Motion Pictures

  • Male Actor in a Leading Role: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
This was expected, as he won the Golden Globe and seems to have the Oscar all but locked up. But I am disappointed that Heath Ledger hasn't been recognized for an amazing performance in Brokeback Mountain. I haven't seen Capote but I do love PSH and have admired him for many years. I also loved In Cold Blood. If there is any chance my old college roommate Jennie Choi is reading this: "First he moves his left foot, then he moves his right foot."
  • Female Actor in a Leading Role: Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
This was a bit of a surprise, because Felicity Huffman was up for the same award for her role as a transsexual in Transamerica. I'm not a big fan of Reese's for two reasons: one, MonicaHarmonica knows someone who met her who said she was bitchy; and two, she's got a really pointy chin. But I loved Legally Blonde. Also, she's never been up for an Oscar. But Felicity hasn't either. AND Felicity is married to the always awesome William H. Macy.
  • Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
I've loved him since he was Kenny aka PigVomit in the GREAT movie Private Parts. Yes, the Howard Stern movie. And Yes, it is fantastic. Don't be a classist. See it before you condemn it.
  • Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Yawn. She also won the Golden Globes for this. She'll also win the Oscar and still no one will know who she is.
  • Cast: Crash
I was very surprised and happy about this win. What a disturbing and important movie. I did see this and it was right before we thought we were going to have to move to LA for Mr. Diva's teaching job. Thank god the San Diego thing came through because this movie freaked me out. We watched it with our best friends the Breedorfs and Mr. Breedorf was flying to LA the next day for work. We were all scared he was going to be carjacked. Anyway, it was a great film. I can't say I exactly enjoyed watching it. But I am glad I did, and I'm glad the cast won this award.

TV

  • Male Actor in a Drama Series: Kiefer Sutherland, 24
Dude, hasn't Jack Bauer been at the brink of world annihilation one too many times for him to be garnering awards for his efforts? Obviously not.
  • Female Actor in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy
Oh! Sandra Oh! I have a soft spot for Sandra. She Canadian, and I love all things Canadian (despite my occasional jokes about them). I grew up in Michigan, and watched CBC all the time. I think it was on this network that I first saw Sandra Oh, in a movie called Double Happiness. She plays an aspiring actress living in Canada and living with her 1st generation parents. It's a sweet and funny look at the culture clashes between her old world Chinese parents and the expectations of the Western world. Rent it today.
  • Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Sean Hayes, Will & Grace
Just Jack! I love him, though I haven't watched Will & Grace for a couple of years. He made a funny speech about how hard it is to find gay roles these days.
  • Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
There's her win! That may explain why Reese got the movie nod.
  • Ensemble in a Drama Series: Lost
As you all know, I love this show and of course I am so excited it won. This means there will be more secrets revealed for seasons to come.
  • Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Desperate Housewives
Yawn. I fell into the DH trap last year during its first season, and it was clever and entertaining. This year, though, it seems forced. Sort of stale. I'm not watching. I don't care how many catfights there are, on or off-set.
  • Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Paul Newman, Empire Falls
Yawn squared. I talked about this miniseries in my Golden Globes posting.
  • Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: S. Epatha Merkerson, Lackawanna Blues
Epatha wins again!!! She won the Golden Globe and the Emmy, and I am so excited she is getting recognition that has been well deserved and earned. I love her on Law & Order. She a fantastic actor.

Life Achievement Award

  • Shirley Temple Black
On the Goooooood Ship Lollipop! Okay I know she's done a bunch more, like she was an ambassador or whatever. But she will always be that little girl singing with a giant lolly. I say, if you've had a drink named for you, even if it's non-alcoholic, then you deserve a Life Achievement Award.

Okay - I'm just going to list the Oscar Nominees for you and tomorrow I'll editorialize. Cuz I'm running out of time and I have to start my night shift. I know - y'all can't believe I don't get PAID for this. Nope - labor of love, my friends. And sorry, make-up artists and

Best Picture:

  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Capote
  • Crash
  • Good Night, and Good Luck.
  • Munich

Best Director:

  • Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
  • Bennett Miller, Capote
  • Paul Haggis, Crash
  • George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck.
  • Steven Spielberg, Munich

Best Actor:

  • Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
  • Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
  • Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
  • Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
  • David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck.

Best Actress:

  • Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
  • Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
  • Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
  • Charlize Theron, North Country
  • Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

Best Supporting Actor:

  • George Clooney, Syriana
  • Matt Dillon, Crash
  • Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
  • Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
  • William Hurt, A History of Violence

Best Supporting Actress:

  • Amy Adams, Junebug
  • Catherine Keener, Capote
  • Frances McDormand, North Country
  • Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
  • Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

Original Screenplay:

  • Crash, written by Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco; story by Paul Haggis
  • Good Night, and Good Luck., written by George Clooney & Grant Heslov
  • Match Point, written Woody Allen
  • The Squid and the Whale, written by Noah Baumbach
  • Syriana, written by Stephen Gaghan

Adapted Screenplay:

  • Brokeback Mountain, screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana
  • Capote, screenplay by Dan Futterman
  • The Constant Gardener, screenplay by Jeffrey Caine
  • A History of Violence, Josh Olson
  • Munich, screenplay by Tony Kushner & Eric Roth

Best Animated Feature:

  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
  • Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Best Foreign-Language Film:

  • Don't Tell, Italy
  • Joyeux Noel, France
  • Paradise Now, Palestine
  • Sophie Scholl--The Final Days, Germany
  • Tsotsi, South Africa
Documentary Feature:

  • Darwin's Nightmare
  • Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
  • March of the Penguins
  • Murderball
  • Street Fight

Documentary Short:

  • The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club
  • God Sleeps in Rwanda
  • The Mushroom Club
  • A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin
Original Score:

  • Brokeback Mountain, Gustavo Santaolalla
  • The Constant Gardener, Alberto Iglesias
  • Memoirs of a Geisha, John Williams
  • Munich, John Williams
  • Pride & Prejudice, Dario Marianelli

Original Song:

  • "In the Deep" (Crash), music by Kathleen "Bird" York & Michael Becker; lyrics by Kathleen "Bird" York
  • "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" (Hustle & Flow), music and lyrics by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman & Paul Beauregard
  • "Travelin' Thru" (Transamerica), music and lyrics by Dolly Parton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home