RagHag Diva

Dissecting all the weekly trash celebrity magazines so YOU don't have to!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My Oscar Weiner Picks

Here's the code - I'm going to Bold the nominee I think will win, and then I will color in purple the one I want to win.

Best Picture:

  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Capote
  • Crash
  • Good Night, and Good Luck.
  • Munich
I think it's pretty clear that the Mountain's gonna take it. And as you all know - I love this movie. I've only seen two of the nominated movies - Brokeback and Crash. And though I thought Crash was really powerful and fantastic in its own way, the beauty of Brokeback - the story, the cinematography - will win out.

Best Director:

  • Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
  • Bennett Miller, Capote
  • Paul Haggis, Crash
  • George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck.
  • Steven Spielberg, Munich
Again, this is a no-brainer. But I wouldn't mind if George won. I have been a fan ever since he was the handyman named, coincidentally, George, on The Facts of Life.

Best Actor:

  • Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
  • Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
  • Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
  • Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
  • David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck.
I don't think this is a surprise either - Philip Seymour Hoffman will win. But I still am hoping Heath Ledger gets it. I'm telling you - I never really liked him or followed his career at all, and this performance was so - well, it was the best acting I've seen.

Best Actress:

  • Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
  • Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
  • Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
  • Charlize Theron, North Country
  • Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line
This is a toss-up - because it could easily go to Reese. But I think the gender and sexuality theme will continue through this category.

Best Supporting Actor:

  • George Clooney, Syriana
  • Matt Dillon, Crash
  • Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
  • Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
  • William Hurt, A History of Violence
God I hope George the Handyman/Dr. Ross wins. He's just so frickin handsome. "Cute" isn't enough to describe him. He's beautiful.

Best Supporting Actress:

  • Amy Adams, Junebug
  • Catherine Keener, Capote
  • Frances McDormand, North Country
  • Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
  • Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain
Weisz will get this. But I like Keener. I think she's a fantastic actress. I think Michelle Williams was great too. But I want Harper Lee to win it.

Original Screenplay:

  • Crash, written by Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco; story by Paul Haggis
  • Good Night, and Good Luck., written by George Clooney & Grant Heslov
  • Match Point, written Woody Allen
  • The Squid and the Whale, written by Noah Baumbach
  • Syriana, written by Stephen Gaghan
I think Crash will take it - though I love movies like the Squid and the Whale - little movies with solid characters. And, of course, I hope George wins so I can see him again.

Adapted Screenplay:

  • Brokeback Mountain, screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana
  • Capote, screenplay by Dan Futterman
  • The Constant Gardener, screenplay by Jeffrey Caine
  • A History of Violence, Josh Olson
  • Munich, screenplay by Tony Kushner & Eric Roth
This movie is based on a short story, for christ's sake. And it's one of best stories I've ever read.

There you go folks - let me know what you think. I skipped the other categories cuz frankly, I haven't seen any of the animated or foreign films. But please, Lord above, please let "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" win best original song. PLLLEEEAAASSSE, members of the Academy!!! I want to hear the word "pimp" over the loudspeakers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home